I'm by no means an expert but I've learned a few things over the past few days.
- Birds on the path are your friend. They like to run along the path away from you before flying away - this makes your dog pull harder and faster.
- Butterflies are not your friend. They cause sudden bursts of speed and random direction changes. Always be prepared.
- Racing alongside makes him try and tackle you - always stay at least a little bit behind.
- Brakes are a good thing don't be afraid to use them - see points 2 and 3 above.
- Keep your dog on leash while letting them wade in the lake - dead fish may be lying about that they'll want to eat.
We managed to shave 3 minutes off yesterday's time and that included spending 2 minutes trying to detach the stupid leash from my mickey mouse contraption (see grey tube in above photo). I really need to get a proper one as the wheel guard that I made is nitpicky and annoying - a trip to the states might be in order as there is a company down there that has a very affordable option (as long as you don't need to ship it to Canada).